Saturday, September 4, 2010

Horses & The Witches' Cat (For Betsy)

What is it they call the witch’s cat? Her “Familiar”?

Well, my familiar is not a cat, but a horse. A mischievous, one eyed, hell bitch that I adore more than any horse I have ever known… Which is saying a lot since I’ve been horse crazy all my life.

Like so many little girls my love affair with horses began shortly after… well… birth probably.










My mom tells a story of holding me up to a fence, when just a toddler, to pet a horse that I saw from the car and insisted being taken to (I was bossy even back then.) The horse bit me taking a small chunk out of my arm. Mom was afraid it would put me off horses forever. No such luck. Can’t even remember it myself.
 










Every sentence I wrote in English class, even as a senior in high school, was about a horse. Seriously.



















 I was officially horse crazy.
My mom was also quite the cowgirl in my youth, showing horses for other people. She was even kicked out of a horse show once when they found out the horse she was showing was stallion. See women weren’t allowed to show stallions everywhere back then, but she did. My mama ran with the big dogs, or ah, big horses, even back then.
Mom on stallion Chan's Champ, aka "Calhoun".
 To all the feminists, who find my continued search for "true love" a disappointing affront on feminism, know that I WAS raised right....

Needless to say, I rode every chance I got until I graduated from high school, and moved to the south to go to Bible school. I know, the Bible school part is shocking to those who know me now. How did I turn out so…well.. like me? Topic for another post..

Anyway, even down south I found people that needed someone to ride their horses for them, so I still got to ride.

Then I moved to Alaska and ended up without a horse for the next 10 years.

When I moved back to the Prairie and married The Ex, we lived on his family’s large, remote, ranch with 1000 acres of farmland, and 300 head of cows. I finally got another horse… Briga…Little did I know this horse would become not only the best horse I ever had, but a reflection of my very spirit…

Briga


Okay, skipping ahead about 7 years, I was pregnant with my second child, a girl. My OB had told me the day before that the baby was head down but that my cervix was nowhere near favorable and that she’d probably have to induce me the following week. It wasn’t surprising since my first child had been way too comfy, and might not have come out at all without induction almost 2 years before.

On this day I woke feeling kind of “fluish” and had begun to have a pain in the lower part of my abdomen. For the previous 2 weeks I’d been having a severe pain on the top part of my belly, under my right rib cage, accompanied by a hard knot that felt like someone was trying to rip the muscle from the bone. This new pain was in a totally different place and not unbearable; I figured it was just the muscles tuning up for labor.

I was home alone with my son since his dad was working in another state. He’d decided to take off since it seemed that I wasn’t going to be “doing anything” for a week. My mom was also getting ready to leave town to visit her boyfriend the next day, but luckily hadn’t left yet.

Tanner, and I went outside so he could ride his Big Wheel. As we were heading toward the creek my saddle horse Briga saw us and came over to see if we were doing anything that might get her some grain.

When I got Briga she was almost 2 yrs old. She’d been born up in the mountains, and hadn’t been handled a day in her life before coming to live with me over at the farm.

It took time and effort but we developed a trust for one another. In an unfortunate twist of fate, before she was old enough to be broke, she went blind in her left eye. A fact that makes her, to this day, edgy and a little wild.

The men on the farm said I should take her to the killers and get another horse that wasn’t “a cripple.” Of course, I didn’t listen….. I’m sure this part does NOT surprise anyone who knows me…

You see, I believe that neither true beauty, or worth, is determined by the exterior of either man or beast, but instead, by their heart. I was in love with Briga’s heart, so she stayed. I would later be vindicated when our horse trainer informed me that if it weren’t for her blind eye he’d be hounding me to sell her to him. He said she was one of the eagerest, hardest working horses he’d ever ridden.

I tell you all this so you will understand why Briga's behavior on that day with Tanner was so strange.

Briga spent an hour following Tanner and I around, which was unheard of. She LET me pet her, and didn't even spook when Tanner was backing into her front feet with his bike. Notable since she has no use for children or their pesky toys. Finally I chased her off.

All this time I was having the “new” pains. I had NO clue they were contractions because I’d never had natural labor before.

As I became more physically uncomfortable, I told Tanner we had to start heading back to the house. I went about 30 feet ahead and sat on a pile of lumber while he stopped to play on one of his dad’s trailers.

Briga came back. First she came and stood over me, and then she went to him. At one point she even put her mouth on the handle bar of his trike. This is so NOT a horse that voluntarily has anything to do with children, yet she sniffed his hair, his jeans. Up to that point he had ignored her, but she finally made him uncomfortable enough that every time she came his way he would jump on his little plastic bike as if for protection.

I finally went and got him by the hand, and started toward the house. Briga came along too, sometimes walking in front of us, and stopping, so we would have to go around her to continue walking.



When we got to the house I went in and called my mom. I told her I thought I was loosing my mind, or else that Briga had lost hers.

While I was in the house Briga almost came up the steps onto the deck whinnying. Mom assured me that she was “just a pet” and was just being friendly.

So, I went back out. She continued walking around Tanner, then me, then she would go and walk around our van pressing her nose on all the windows. She repeated this pattern over and over until I finally couldn’t stand it and made Tanner go in the house.

Once inside, and after having several more “pains,” I had to admit that of all the horses on the place Briga is the least likely to be called a pet. Something was up with me and she knew it. What an idiot I was.. I was in labor and my horse knew it before I did.

Baby Tehya came that night by C-section because she was breech. Apparently she had completely flipped since the day before.

I found out later that the ripping pain I’d felt for the previous 2 weeks had been her head pushing up against my ribcage. Like she was trying to reach up and grab me by the chin and say “mom, I talking to you” the way she so loves to do today.

Briga came and checked me out after I got home from the hospital, then went on her merry way. She has never shown any interest in me, or anyone else, since…Unless, of course, they have something for her to eat.

This summer, more than 6 years later, she let kids ride her a bit without scaring the pee-waddens out of them. At 14 she may be finally starting to mellow a bit… but just a bit.

She is still the first horse on the place that will get into trouble. If ANYONE is going to jump the cattle guard, crawl through the barbed wire fence, or find an opening where there is none, it will be her. She’s pure trouble… just like her owner… the reflection of my spirit… my “familiar”… Oh, I love her so.

As always, thank you for taking the time to pull this note off a tumbleweed. If you feel like sending one back telling me of your animal angels I’d love to hear them.

Here’s wishing you many angelic friends… whether they be human or covered in fur.


Prairie Girl and her “Familiar”

3 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for telling it again! It's so true and so clear that your souls are connected, and I don't care if that DOES sound tree-huggy granola-crunchy. True is true.

    And those pictures of you as a little girl are adorable! I didn't realize how far back your love of horses went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a horse "tumbleweed" for you. it's a bit long-sorry about that!

    i'm so NOT an animal person. but my husband scott LOVES them. early in our marriage he had a couple horses. one was a female quarter horse and the other was a male arabian horse. most anyone could ride cassie (the female) but only scott and 1 other fella ever rode mac. mac was very high spirited and pretty hard to handle. sometimes scott would go off for a ride, and next thing i knew, mac would come charging up the driveway without a rider and shortly after that, scott would come walking up. the horses were just rode locally so didn't have much exposure to the horse trailer. i don't remember the circumstances but somehow cassie had a run in with a barbed wire fence and ripped open her chest. it was a gaping upside down "V" about 10-15 inches long on each side and flapping open. obviously needed medical attention. scott was attempting to load cassie into the horse trailer and concerned about hurting her more with the loading process. she was agitated and in pain and frightened so it was not going well at all. scott was beginning to think he was going to have to call someone to help him get her loaded when mac got behind and to the open side of the trailer (the non-door side) and nudged her into the trailer while scott was leading and pulling her from the front. it was quite a thing to see a horse KNOW what needed to be done and how to do it.

    a few years later, we had a terrible storm blow through: tornadoes and straight line winds etc. we had some damage so we were not living at our place for a few weeks. cassie was expecting her 1st baby horse (see, i told you i don't know anything about animals.....i can't even think of the word for baby horse!) i went to the house to get something and saw that cassie was lying down in the mudness (caused by the storm) and straining herself. so i called scott and he came over and sure enuf, she was in labor. it was a difficult labor in which scott had to assist her some. the colt (oh look the term came to me!) was born and cassie was exhausted. she didn't work to clean up or get the colt to stand so scott did that too. cassie would not get up out of the mud. scott worked and pulled and tugged trying to get her up. nothing would budge her. mac had been standing off a ways through out the whole process. now he came over by cassie and was just a bit behind and off to one side of her. in one smooth motion, he reared up on his hind legs and came down with a leg on either side of cassie's head. he clamped his fronts legs together around her neck and reared back up on his hind legs again and pulled her up onto her feet. scott and i just stood there in total amazement. cassie stayed on her feet and recovered just fine. we named her colt "dizzy" (after disaster).

    and there's my tumbleweed. keep writing your tumbleweeds tracey! kayp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay I LOVE it!

    What an amazing horse Mac is. It makes you look at animals differently seeing, and hearing about, things like what he did.

    Thank you for taking the time not only to read my tumbleweeds, but especially for sending such a wonderful one back.

    Angels on your body.

    ReplyDelete